At Unity Atlanta, we empower you to realize your indwelling Divinity, and we provide abundant opportunities for you to transform yourself, your life, your community, and our world.
People often begin their spiritual journey in Unity when they discover something missing in their lives, or they long to deepen their faith and spiritual maturity. Unity Co-Founder Myrtle Fillmore explains how this experience unfolds:
“All of us sooner or later come to the place in our development where we are no longer satisfied to go on living the old life, without the knowledge of our oneness with God, the Source of our being. Sometimes, when we reach this point in our soul’s progress, we do not at first know just what is taking place. We may become restless and dissatisfied. We may go through experiences which we do not understand. We may even be tempted to think that our good has gone from us. But just as surely as there is God, the one Presence and one Power, we shall find that . . . we are but going from one room, as it were, into another, larger and lighter room.”
Her husband, Unity Co-Founder Charles Fillmore, actually began to deepen his faith by learning from his wife. He assures us:
“The Truth we teach is not new, neither do we claim special discovery of new religious principles. Our purpose is to help and teach mankind to use and prove the eternal Truth taught by the Master.”
Unity’s 5 Basic Principles:
- God is. There is only one Presence and one Power, in the universe and in our lives, God the Good, Omniscience, Omnipotence, Omnipresence.
- We are. God is individualized and expressed in each person as the Christ consciousness was demonstrated by Master Teacher and Wayshower, Jesus the Christ.
- We Pray It. The spiritual practices of prayer, meditation, contemplation, and reflection allow us to deepen our faith and to experience the presence of God in the midst of all parts of our lives.
- We Think It. The law of mind action shows us that our thoughts will reflect in the way we experience our daily lives. As we choose to change our minds, so we can choose to change our lives.
- We Live It. Learning new concepts, principles, and teachings isn’t enough. We must apply them and practice them daily. As we do, we remember that we are eternal spiritual beings worthy of contentment and fulfillment in all aspects of our lives.
Unity Atlanta is a Beloved Community. This means that we’re an inviting, inclusive, open, affirming, and compassionate multi-ethnic, multi-generational community of many families and many people from all walks of life. As a community, we gather together to know and remind one another of Who We Are and Whose We Are, each one, a beloved creation of a beloved creator, God.
The concept of Beloved Community began in ancient times and is lived in many different cultures. In modern times, examples of Beloved Communities have been described and lived by such spiritual leaders as Josiah Royce, Martin Luther King, Jr., and Howard Thurman.
In Beloved Community, our purpose is to support and encourage one another, no matter who we are, how we look, who we love, or where we’ve been. As a Beloved Community, we unite in an interdependent relationship of love, mutuality, and respect to create equity and equality in our lives and in our world.
Some Scriptures Which Guide Our Journey
“You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your strength, and with all your mind, and you shall love your neighbor as yourself.” – Luke 10:27
“A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.” – John 13:34
“Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.” – Romans 12:2
“Be still and know that I am God.” – Psalm 46:10
“The Lord appeared to the prophet from afar saying, ‘I have loved you with an everlasting love; therefore, I have created you with lovingkindness.” — Jeremiah 31:3
Some Mile Markers to Guide Our Journey
- Our spiritual development and maturation, no matter what our calendar age, begins as an inner journey of transformation.
- As we choose to transform ourselves, we discover that we can also transform our beliefs, experiences, relationships, lives, and our world.
- Our continued emotional, mental, psychological, and spiritual growth includes some seasons of renewal and rebirth.
- Everything in the Universe supports us in living our divinity. The more we cooperate with the Universe, the more we realize God’s goodness in our lives.
- God’s goodness always is available to us, no matter what may have occurred in our past. Wherever we are, no matter who we are, whatever you may have experienced up until now, we can always begin again!
Suggested Affirmations for Experiencing God in the Midst of Our Lives
“God, Beloved Creator of all things, is unlimited good, all the time, everywhere present. Therefore, God is within me, and I am whole and divine, worthy and deserving of all God’s goodness.”
“Wherever I am, God is. God in the midst of me now is the courage, faith, and strength I need to do all which is mine to do, this day, and every day.”
“I am courageous, bold, and assured as I meet new challenges and embrace new opportunities. Wherever I go, God is.”